Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Updates

My boys were both worn out after our long day at Primary Children's
In the recovery room
Life is pretty crazy at our house right now.  I feel like I'm barely keeping my head above water and it's hard to make it through the day.  Things are good, I'm just having a hard time adjusting to having a newborn again and 3 kids at home all day.  If we make it through the summer and still like each other, I'll consider it a successful summer.  Most days I'm doing good to get a shower, let alone get anything done.  My kids get fed every day and most days they get dressed and as long as they don't play outside they stay reasonably clean.  This too shall pass right?  Anyway, enough complaining.
We met with the ENT from primary children's at the end of May.  Silas has fluid in his ears which is most likely the cause of his hearing loss.  We will go back in July to see if the fluid is clearing on its own.  If it isn't, then he will have surgery to have tubes put in his ears.  We didn't have a great experience with the ENT, so in July we will try another doctor, this one was recommended by a friend of mine, so hopefully it will go better.
Friday Silas had his two MRI's up at primary children's. To keep him still enough, he had to be put under general anesthesia.   Ben and my dad gave him a blessing on Thursday night, which was very comforting.  Ben and I were a little worried.  After midnight I was only able to feed Silas pedialyte and after 8 a.m. he couldn't eat anything.  I fed him one last bottle at 7:30 and then we left.  Silas slept on the way and stayed asleep until the nurse started the check in process at same day surgery.  I dressed Silas in the cutest little hospital gown and socks, too bad I didn't get a picture.  Silas cried all through the poking and prodding, thankfully he only cried for about 20 minutes, I was able to walk around and get him to calm down and go to sleep even though he was starving.  The nurses and the doctor we saw were great.  Dr. Furst the anesthesiologist was very reassuring and nice.  We walked downstairs to radiology and were told where to wait after we got some lunch.  We kissed Silas goodbye and walked away.  It was really hard to kiss our boy goodbye and leave him with strangers.  Ben and I had lunch together and had just sat down in the waiting room when the doctor came to get us.  He told us that Silas did great and that they were able to get good pictures.  We were able to go in to the recovery room and hold him.  He was awake and doing great.  Soon afterward we were on our way home.  Silas slept most of the day and did good during the night.  I am so thankful that everything went well.  We should get the results in a few days and know whether or not he will need surgery on his skull.  We're crossing our fingers and praying for the best, we don't want to have to starve him or hand him over to strangers again.  Silas will have his 2 month checkup on Friday and we have follow up appointments with the cardiologist and ENT next month.  Things are good and Silas is doing well.  I'm grateful for all of the prayers on his behalf.  While we were at lunch and Silas was having his MRI's done, I started to have all of the anxieties and "what if's" creep into my mind and I started to feel like I was sinking.  I said a prayer and I felt a wave of peace wash over me and I was instantly calmed and I knew everything would be okay.  Everything will be okay, we just have to keep going and hold on.

No comments: