Thursday, March 3, 2011

New Beginnings

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from my friend Erica. She's one of the counselors in our young women's presidency. She asked if I would be willing to speak at new beginnings.
Me:Sure (thinking they wanted something about camp) What is the topic?
Erica:Using the stars as a guide, comparing the Savior to the North Star, etc.
Me:Okay, how long do you want me to take?
Erica: 15 minutes, you'll be the main speaker.
Me: (silence, crickets, etc.) Are you sure? I'm just the camp director, why do you want me.

She gave me an answer, that was really nice and complimentary, but I was already gone. I was thinking, what have I said yes to. I really liked the topic and I had two weeks to prepare. The only problem is that I get super nervous when speaking to a group. Not to mention a group of not only girls, but parents, stake YW leaders, bishopric members and even a member of the stake presidency. No pressure right?
Last night was the program. I was so nervous, my whole body was shaking. The room was dark and only lit by some fake candle/lanterns. This helped a little, but I was still super scared. I barely had enough light to see my talk, and I left out a lot and added some extra stuff. I added a lot of "ums" too. I say "um" a lot when I get nervous. I'm not sure how long I talked, but I think it may have been a little more than fifteen minutes. I was glad I couldn't see too well to know whether anyone was bored to tears. I was so glad to sit down when it was all over with. Although it was a totally uncomfortable experience, I am grateful for it. I had lots of kind comments when I was done, which were very appreciated. I can't think back on what I said too much or else I over criticize. I am glad it's over, but I am also grateful for the learning experience. I stole a lot of my talk from a book by Laurel Christensen entitled "He loves us and we love him: You've memorized it, now live it." This is such and awesome book. I am not so much a young woman anymore, but it was great for me to read. I needed the message from this book. Today I am tired and worn out, I'm going to reward myself with a haircut for surviving.

No comments: