Thursday, March 3, 2011

Addy Turns 8

The long awaited doll
Temper
Tantrum

The cake

Holy Cow! Where has the time gone? I can't believe that my oldest is 8 years old. It seems like yesterday she was born. Have I really been a mom for eight years now? I'm humming "sunrise, sunset" here. Addy is so happy to be 8. Grandma Yancey and family threw Addy a little party the night before with dinner, cake, and presents. Ben and I were not invited and were forced to go on a date. Addy had her choice of activities on her birthday, she wanted to go out with Ben. Saturday morning Addy and Ben went to breakfast at McDonald's. She and Ben had fun together. Addy asked for an American girl doll for her birthday. A few years ago, she asked for one and I told her she could have one when she turned eight. Well, I couldn't go back on my word, especially because she reminded me of what I had said. Because of the huge price tag, we only gave her the doll. To make it a little more fun, I made a treasure hunt complete with picture clues. We sent her all over the house until she found her doll. She was thrilled with her gift. Maren wanted the doll and had a huge temper tantrum. Thank goodness for naps. We had a last minute cake party with the grandparents and a casual day. It was great! Addy wanted her cake to be a surprise. I had a great idea in my head, but I just couldn't get it onto a cake. I wanted to make the cake look like an open book with a log cabin popping out of the pages. Addy love the Little House on the Prairie books. Well, I couldn't get it to work, so I went with plan B. I made the cake look like the Little House logo. It turned out okay, not what I wanted, but Addy was happy. Addy is so happy to be 8 and can't wait for her baptism this Saturday. I am so happy to have her in our family, I'm glad she was the first. She is such a sweet, beautiful girl. I love watching her learn and grow.

No comments: