Friday, July 17, 2009

Prison Sentence

The two most dreaded words that a pregnant woman can hear are bed rest. Wednesday I went to my doctors office for a routine blood pressure check. Well, there was nothing routine about it. My blood pressure was high so I ended up winning a trip to the hospital for more monitoring. I was just a little stressed. I was in charge of the combined mutual activity that night and still didn't have everything squared away. I also had way too much to do, I didn't have time for all of this. While at labor and delivery, my anxiety and my blood pressure went through the roof. My blood pressure was so high, I was setting off alarms. I had my blood drawn and was monitored for close to two hours. The nurse came in and told me I could go home, and that my baby was fine. Then I was sentenced to bed rest. I looked at her with a blank stare and said what? She said I was now on bed rest and only supposed to get up to go to the bathroom. I think my jaw hit the floor. Did I mention I don't have time for this? I had to do the lovely 24 hour urine collection and go back to L&D the next day for more monitoring. I have the official diagnosis of PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) The baby is doing just fine, she doesn't like to have her heart rate checked, she squirms all over the place. I'm on day 3 of my prison sentence, which stinks. I'm trying to keep positive about all of this and I do have to say that my feet and ankles are much smaller, but this still stinks!!! Yesterday, Addy brought me breakfast in bed. She had poured me a bowl of cereal and a glass of milk, by herself, and brought it to me. I was ready to cry. I'm the mom, I'm the one who should be getting her breakfast. My sister has been a great help. She has been coming over and getting the kids their lunch and making me be good. Ben is a great help too. He keeps reassuring me that this will all work out and that he doesn't mind taking care of me. I guess we'll see if he still says that in a few weeks. It's a good thing I only have a few weeks left. Wish me luck that I won't lose my mind!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That S-T-I-N-K-S!!! At least now you don't have to feel bad about not taking your girls outside in the blazing heat! Keep that A/C going and I'll be checking on you soon!

Laura said...

Good luck!

Lisa said...

Pick ya out a few good books and try to relax. It may be prison, but sounds like you need the break/rest! We're thinking of you out here! Wish we were closer to help!