Sunday, July 6, 2014

Visit to Hogares Luz Y Vida














































We arrived at 10:30 ish in the am after a long drive through some scary neighborhoods. We went in through the back door. I am not sure why.  It took just a moment for a nice man to open the door then a bit longer for the assistant Director of the orphanage to come to the door. She is one of the people at the encontro date in fact she told us most of that we knew about Diego from the orphanage. She was present but not in the room for the integration. She is very nice and truly loves the children. Since we came in through the back we walked directly into the cafeteria. It is a large room with lots of room for tables but when we entered there were none. On the wall was a large painting of Jesus with a group of children all of the children in the painting are or were residence of the home. There are many paintings throughout the facility and also outside on the walls nearby. All of the paintings were done by residence at the home. We walked up a ramp and into the main facility to what I will call the "play room". There we were informed not to take photos of any of the resident children.  Photos of things, staff and our own children were fine. As the day was a holiday ALL of the 160 residence were at home. Wow there were a lot of kids and they immediately recognized Diego and MaJo'! The room was alive with calls and shouts of Diego and Diegito! All around me, I was holding Diego. Many children obviously love Diego and wanted to hug and kiss him. I kneeled down and they did. Diego appeared overwhelmed at the attention but he was smiling and obviously recognized and loved those who accosted him. Many of the children had obvious medical problems; others seemed well, all looked happy. The staff all smiled and watched the children and greeted Diego and MaJo'. The room was large with a ramp going up to the left that split it in half. On the near side there were many children. I think most of them were watching TV. On the far side of the room was a fenced in area where toys were kept. After a lot of happy yelling and one young man of 8 or 10 years getting my attention and asking "are you Diego's Dad?" (That young man wants a family so much I could feel it. The question was more of a plea "Would you be my Dad too"? Wow that was heart wrenching. I wish I could.) Up the bisecting ramp we went toward the office.

On the way we saw Viviana a therapist working with a baby that suffers from hydrocephalus. Seeing that baby with his large deformity being helped was difficult but wonderful at the same time. So many of the residence here are in need of extra care and are not "perfect" in some way. I am sure that many of the stories are tragic and beyond my comprehension. But to my surprise I was not overcome with sadness or grief as the visit progressed. In fact I was uplifted. The spirit was sweet and the faces of the residence were by my observation almost universally happy. At times my gut wrenched and I felt sad as I saw the unimaginable difficulties and frustrations. But I also saw the hands of angles caring for and loving the children. God truly lives and loves these  little ones. They need families so much. But while they are waiting I cannot imagine a better place. This is a place of healing and love.  This is a sacred place where the work of God is done. The staff who care for the residence and the residence truly are angles. This place is home for 160 very special people whom God loves.

Viviana is the therapist that worked closely with Diego and was "Like his Mom" I was told. She taught Diego to walk and worked with him on many things. She is why Diego was able to progress so quickly and come to us so strong and happy. When Diego was able to get close to Viviana it was obvious that they had a very special relationship. Diego went to her with enthusiasm and hugged her. They interacted for perhaps 5 min. It was a happy time for both of them. We are so thankful to her. We took a bunch of pictures.

Back to the narrative and up the ramp. The office is a small room with 2 or 3 computers, desks and chairs. We meet the 2 assistant directors and some other staff. We shared some gifts that we brought for the staff. There were so very kind and thankful to us for adopting Diego. I expressed how thankful we are for the care and love they have for all the children especially Diego. 

Next took ramps to look at the dorms. There were very few stairs in the facility all ramps to allow accessibility for everyone. All of the dorms were clean, neat organized and appeared to be comfortable. There were stuffed animals in the beds of each of the young children. The blankets and sheets had fun colors and seemed just right. The rest rooms and changing rooms were very clean. I was impressed by the number of toothbrushes neatly arranged on the walls. When we arrived at Diego and MaJo's former dorm they were excited. I put Diego into his former bed (really a white crib) and he ran directly to look out the window. There is a nice green field just across the street that I am told use to have animals in it. I was told that Diego was looking for the animals. He remembered.  After the dorms we went to the room where Diego learned to walk. It was undergoing changes so it was empty but it was nice to see the place where he hit such an important milestone. From the first moments we brought Diego to our apartment he has been a door shutter. Every door and any door anywhere anytime, he shuts all doors. At his former home it was no different. They told me that he has always been a door shutter. In fact he shut the doors to many of the rooms we visited.

When we left the institution Diego did not want to stay in fact he was the first one to the door. This made me very happy! He wanted me more than his home for as long as he can recall! He even kissed me when we got in the car!

One thing we were not able to do on this visit was to meet with the nun that directs the center.  I hope someday somehow to meet her and thank her for all her hard work and sacrifices for the children. I am reminded of Mosiah chapter 2 my favorite verse is 17 https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/mosiah/2?lang=eng.

Links:


1 comment:

squad mind said...

Download and install your Norton product on your computer. Sign In to Norton. If you are not signed in to Norton already, you will be prompted to sign in. In the Norton Setup window, click Download Norton. Click Agree & Download. Do one of the following depending on your browser:
www.norton.com/setup