Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A better day


Today was much better, a new day full of hope.  Diego woke up at 6, I got him dressed and Ben got him some breakfast.  He doesn't like oatmeal, but he loves club crackers and bread.  Soraya called at 8 and said she would be over to get us soon so that we could go get my visa.  We played outside while waiting.  Diego was extra snuggly this morning which I enjoyed.  Soraya called back and said that the consulate was reviewing my paperwork and that it would take about 24 hours to process.  We now had our day free.  Diego and his friend Majo played together outside for awhile.  He loves to go down the slide and close the door and shutters on the little play house.  We talked to our neighbor Sarah and decided to go together to get some lunch.  We loaded up the strollers and headed out.  We walked for a while and then headed back the other direction.  Ben convinced us to stop at this little hole in the wall restaurant.  Sarah and I both agreed that we would never have gone in there alone.  For being a total hole in the wall, they had really good food.  I had arroz con pollo with plantains and french fries, it was really good.  After lunch we decided to head to Exito. While walking, we found a street vendor with Colombia soccer jerseys.  We bought one for Diego, especially because Colombia plays their second game in the world cup tomorrow.   It was a really long walk to Exito, but it was a beautiful day and the walk felt good.  Exito is kind of like Walmart, it has a little of everything. We got a few groceries and found Diego a soccer ball.  He was playing with a soccer ball yesterday and loved it.  The kid is a natural at soccer, it must be in his blood.  I bought myself a Colombia soccer shirt to wear tomorrow.  After wandering through the store, we headed back home.  We decided to take a different way home.  The sidewalks were a lot better than the other route.  We wandered through some really nice neighborhoods and made it back to the main road.  Our next task was to find Ben a new hat, he lost his on the airplane.  He bought one from a street vendor and even haggled with him a little.  We made our way back home and had a little play time outside.  Afterward we came upstairs for dinner and then some down time.  Ben gave Diego a shower which he enjoyed.  Next it was pajama time and toothbrush time.  I put Diego down to bed and then talked to the kids over Skype.  I am so grateful for Skype.  I could not handle being away from my kiddos without it.  I love and miss my kids so much, but I can make it through the next 12 days as long as I get to talk to them every day.  I got to visit with them and my sister for a long time.  It was nice to visit.  Now I am sitting here writing while Ben is asleep.  He crashed out about an hour ago.  I'm enjoying some TV in English and will be heading to bed soon.  I think after our walk today we will all sleep good.


Playing with Majo

View of the mountains from our walk










1 comment:

Grandma Sue said...

Crystal thanks for keeping a blog! So enjoy hearing about your day to day adventures. You and Ben are amazing - adopting your Diego has been no easy task. The quote "I Can Do Hard Things" comes to mind. Blessings to all of you!!!