Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sisterhood of the traveling van week 6


The train, the train!


This week's adventure took us to the booming metropolis of Kamas, Utah. Camille had the desire to see Kamas, so we packed up and headed out Thursday morning. It's a pretty drive going through Provo canyon and Heber. If you have never been to Kamas, it's up above Heber, past the Jordanelle reservoir. It's a nice little and I mean little town. We continued driving through Kamas into Oakley where we stopped and had lunch at the Road Island diner. I remembered seeing it on the food network show "diners, drive-ins and dives" It was a fun little place to stop. The diner was made in a factory back in 1939. If you want to know more click here. The owners have tried to keep the interior as original as possible. It was like stepping back in time. The real food looked good, it was a little expensive and a little greasy, but I would expect that from a diner. I left hungry, but such is the life of a glutard. We had fun though. After lunch, we drove around some more. We drove into Woodland and on Bench creek road, past Oakcrest L.D.S. girls camp. I spent the summer of 1998 working at Oakcrest, it was a great experience. It was fun to show my girls where I worked and to see how much growth there has been in Woodland in the last 12 years. We stopped at the campgrounds at Jordanelle for a quick pit stop. Then we drove back to Heber. We stopped at the Dairy Keen for ice cream. Dairy Keen is one of my favorite places to stop in Heber. They have trains that run along the ceiling with scenes from the Heber valley. Maren loved watching the trains while we shared ice cream. Did I mention that they have yummy ice cream? They do, now that Granny's in Heber is no longer as good, I would have to say that Dairy Keen has the best shakes, at least in Heber. After our yummy ice cream, we headed back home. It was another fabulous week of travels and fun with Aunt Camille.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Diary Keen is my favorite! We stop there every time we make a trip up to the cabin (or back from the cabin, for that matter!) :-) They have the BEST ice cream in the world! My mouth waters just thinking about it!

PS - I love this traveling van thing - such a cute idea. I love reading about the places y'all go. Makes me homesick!